Information for Care Leavers

Contact Info

Deirdre Lynskey

Outreach Officer

Widening Participation Unit

Student Guidance Centre

Queen's University Belfast


Tel: 028 9097 1567



Widening Participation Unit

The Widening Participation Unit works with young people, teachers, schools, colleges, parents and older learners to ensure that those who have the ability to succeed in higher education should have the opportunity to do so. We are committed to supporting care leavers.

Email Deirdre for more information:

For details of our various activities see:


Counselling Service

The Counselling Service is staffed by qualified counsellors, offering support to students in a confidential setting for a wide range of personal, social and academic issues.  These include anxiety and depression, self esteem and confidence issues, anger, loss, relationship difficulties, eating disorders and academic stress.  Any emotional distress makes it difficult to focus on academic study. If you have something on your mind contact the Counselling Service sooner rather than later, before your problem escalates.


Disability Services

If you have a disability, mental health difficulty or a learning difficulty such as dyslexia, Disability Services can advise you on a range of School, exam and, where eligible, funded support to meet your specific needs.  If you indicate that you have a disability on your UCAS form, Disability Services will send you a separate questionnaire for completion and invite you for an assessment of your needs before the beginning of your studies. 


Learning Development Service

The Learning Development Service offers academic support for essay writing, referencing, time management, study skills, maths and exam preparation to all Queen’s students.

We provide one-to-one support (email: and our resources can be accessed on


University Health Service

The University Health Service offers a full range of NHS services including health screening and antenatal care as well as student related services such as free medical certification and reports to University Schools.