Information for Care Leavers

Contact Info

Deirdre Lynskey

Outreach Officer

Widening Participation Unit

Student Guidance Centre

Queen's University Belfast


Tel: 028 9097 1567




For advice on how Queen's University can support you as a care leaver, please contact Deirdre at the Widening Participation Unit (contact details on the left hand side of this webpage). 


Other types of support:

Academic Support

If you wish we can advise your School about your circumstances when you enrol at Queen’s.  They may be able to provide you with additional support such as a meeting with some of your lecturers and your Adviser of Studies/Personal Tutor before the start of each semester.


Financial Support

Queen’s University offers financial support for people from a care leaver’s background.  The Students’ Union Advice Centre Student Financial Adviser (Connie Craig) will ensure you are provided with reliable financial advice and information about potential sources of funding.  The Students’ Union also has a Money Management Adviser should you have any budgeting or debt issues whilst at University.  Contact Connie Craig on 9097 1049 or e-mail:


Accommodation Support

Many care leavers often worry about where they are going to live when at University and in some cases where they may stay during holidays or the summer vacation period.

Accommodation at Queen’s can offer care leavers a range of options, including 38 and 50 week accommodation contracts with options to extend to the full year or priority access to accommodation throughout your university life. Your assigned contact person in Student Welfare will be able to advise you further on this and assist with arrangements with:

Accommodation & Hospitality Service